California has over 27 million drivers who have an official license to drive. This number exceeds the 2019 population of every American state, save California and Texas. Also, the number of bicyclist and pedestrian fatalities in California exceeds that of any other state. In 2018, statistics reveal that American citizens, aged between 39 and 49 years rode bicycles.
California’s lawmakers have enforced the “Three Feet for Safety Act” that mandates motorists to give bicyclists a buffer-zone of three-foot before trying to pass them. This law helps to lessen the total number of right hook accidents, which means every personal injury attorney in California has that much fewer cases to handle.
What Does a Right-Hook Accident Refer To?
It occurs when the path in which a motorist and cyclists travel are the same and suddenly, the former turns to the right across the latter’s path. In such a situation, the bicycle is rear-ended when the car makes the turn or they stop pedaling and collide with the latter. In bicyclist language, this is known as “being hooked”, plus it can be fatal.
The Rights and Responsibilities of Cyclists
Every bicyclist in California is obliged to adhere to the following when riding.
- Obey both traffic signals and signs;
- Watch speed limits;
- Cycle with traffic;
- Stop at red signs;
- Cycle on the right;
- Yield the right of way to pedestrians;
- Use designated lanes wherever available;
- Use reflectors and lights when riding at night; and,
- Put on a helmet (applicable for those aged below 18 years).
They also are entitled to expect the driver of a motor vehicle to do the following.
- To look for the rider and treat him or her like one who drivers any other vehicle that moves slowly;
- To pass in a safe way;
- To be cautious when they turn to the left or right side;
- To look before they open the door to leave the car to keep ‘dooring’ accidents from happening.
- To be alert when they back up;
Injuries Induced By Such an Accident
When the rider is struck by a motorist, some of the commonly reported injuries may be following.
- Road rash injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Limb loss
- Burn injury
- Internal organ injuries
- Facial and abdominal injuries
- fractures, strains, and dislocations
These are only few of the injuries that can happen from a right hook collision. If you or loved ones encountered such an accident, you need to seek help of a motorcycle accident or a personal injury lawyer. You can visit https://davidovichlaw.com/practice-area/personal-injury-attorney-california/ to know more on personal injury lawyers’ in California.