Buses are one of the cheapest means of transport, and one of the safest too. However, this does not mean that they are not prone to accidents. There is no exception to the fact that everyone is susceptible to accidents when on the road. When buses face accidents though, the passengers usually incur serious injuries. In such an incident, bus accident lawyers can help you to acquire the compensation that you deserve. Below is a detailed discussion of the causes and compensations in a bus accident.
Bus Accidents in California
Schools and local governments run the majority of the buses. Further, there are also charter buses, coach buses, and tour buses found on the roads. Any accident is an unpleasant experience. Yet soon after the accident, representatives of the company may approach you regarding the compensation. They might disguise as delegates to ease your suffering, but keep in mind that it might be an attempt to offer you the minimum amount of money from their part. The fact that you deserve compensation might be clear as daylight, but they will not make it easy for you. Hence, always make sure that you approach a bus accident attorney Los Angeles in such an event.
Why are Bus Accidents So Dangerous?
It is true that bus accidents are not very common. However, when they do occur, they inflict some serious damages to all those involved. Firstly, the sheer size of the buses means that they carry a tremendous amount of momentum when they move. Common vehicles are small when compared to city buses, school buses, tour buses, and charter buses. So when a bus collides with a smaller vehicle, the former transfer its momentum to its passengers, which results in some bad injuries. Not only that, the collision also causes serious damages to the other vehicle(s) and passenger(s) involved in the crash.
Bus Accident Causes
Bus accident cases occur every year in numbers and they result from a variety of reasons. The vast majority of these are caused by negligence. On some occasions, the driver is guilty, while sometimes, the manufacturer is to blame. Regardless of the cause, it is the responsibility of the individual to ensure protection. A few of the most common causes of bus accidents include:
- Driver Error: Drivers may be the reason for a mishap due to their lack of experience in intense situations requiring great composure and focus. At times, lack of proper training could also lead to this. Nowadays, many drivers have been found to get involved in activities that put the lives of passengers at risk such as using their phones while driving.
- Driver Intoxication: Bus drivers shoulder the huge responsibility of carrying their passengers to their destinations safely. However, many a times, the guilty driver in a bus accident was found to have consumed drugs or alcohol while driving. This seriously impairs their judgment prowess, which could easily lead to an accident.
- Manufacturing Defects: Sometimes, faulty components of the bus could also lead to accidents. For instance, if a component like the brakes fails to perform while the vehicle is in motion, they seriously hamper the capabilities of the bus. The shape of buses further makes it prone to roll over, which further increases the intensity of the accident.
- Improper Maintenance: Irrespective of the authority that owns the bus, it is their responsibility to ensure that the bus is operated properly and is checked and maintained from time to time. However, several companies and bus owners skip this part to cut down on their expenses. This means that the components of the bus would remain in an unfit state. These factors could combine during the commute and lead to serious accidents.
- Unsafe Roads: The responsibility of the public authorities is to ensure that the roads and highways are well maintained. However, if there were glitches in this system, there are bound to be hazards like serious crashes. Sometimes, an unexpected gutter in the road could send the vehicle out of control and lead to a severe accident. Although it is difficult to establish the faulty state of the roads to ensure compensation, there have been instances when bus accident attorney Los Angeles managed to prove the fault and claim the rightful recoup.
- Inclement Weather: In some cases, you may hear that the unfavorable weather caused the accident. However, the truth is that ultimately the driver is to blame for that too. It was, after all, the driver’s decision to continue in the hostile weather.
Seeking Compensation for Bus Accident Injuries
Buses are owned and run by large entities like the government or corporate. Hence, the process of acquiring compensation is indeed an extended process. This means that you will definitely have to seek the help of one of the bus accident lawyers to proceed with the case.
Besides, it is also important to act quickly after the accident. Bus owners usually have many resources at their disposal, and they will instantly start their process of trying to minimize the financial impact of the accident. Hence, make sure to consult a qualified and reputed attorney to help you get through the process of trials successfully and ensure that you get the compensation that you deserve.